The Child Care Collaborative of Iowa’s Business Library has a variety of topics covering management, human resources and financial topics. The topics are available in both .pdf and video formats to help everyone understand the content. Click on the format that best meets your learning style.
A collection of guides that cover how relief funding affects your taxes, tax preparation strategies, and other important topics.
Depreciation: What is depreciation?
Pay Increase: Pay Increases and Payroll Taxes
Payroll: Salary Exempt vs Non-Exempt
Prorating Costs: What You Need to Know
Tax Credits: What tax credits are available for group center and family child care businesses?
Tax Deduction: Maximizing Your Tax Deductions - Employing Your Child
Tax Prep: How do I prepare my business for tax season?
Taxes: Child Care Tax Opportunities - Transportation and Food Costs
Taxes: Employee Retention Tax Credit (ERTC)
Taxes: Health Expense - How can I make health expenses tax deductible?
Taxes: Self-Assessing Taxes Online
Taxes: Tax Considerations for Selling Your Home
Time-Space Calculation: What is time-space calculation?
Resources for managing your business finances, including how to create a budget and a cash flow forecast, set your rates, and more.
Capital: Can I get a loan to support my business?
Finance: Are you managing your cash flow?
Finance: Monthly Budgeting
Finance: What are Profit and Loss Statements and Balance Sheets?
Financial Relationships: Building Financial Relationships
Insurance: Why do I need liability insurance and how does it help me?
Paying Yourself: A Guide for Sole Proprietors
Startup Costs: Child Care Business Startup Costs and Taxes
Federal & State Funding
Federal and state governments are offering funding to help child care businesses navigate the pandemic and its aftermath. Learn how this money can be spent, how it affects your taxes, and more.
Attracting & Retaining Staff
Information on how to attract the best talent and how to offer compensation and benefits that will keep them satisfied.
Handbook for Employees: How can I set up an employee handbook?
Hiring: Finding Talent
Hiring Announcement: Creating a Three-Part Job Announcement
Staff Benefits: Which staff benefits are right for my business?
Staff Classification: Classifying Staff - Contractors or Employees
Staff Pay: Financially Invest in Your Staff with Temporary Pay Increases or Bonuses
Stress: How can I reduce stress for myself and my employees?
These guides cover the basics that you need to know in order to keep your child care business running smoothly.
Banking: Opening a Business Bank Account
Bookkeeping: Basic Bookkeeping
Business Plan: Creating an Annual One-Page Business Plan
CACFP: What is the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)?
CCMS: What is a Child Care Management System (CCMS) and how do I choose one?
Contract: Part 1 - How do I create a contract for child care services?
Contract: Part 2 - Creating a Family Handbook
Contract: Part 3 - How do I implement my child care services contract?
Contract Partners: Contracts with Other Businesses
Enrollment: The Essential Steps for Managing Enrollment
Incorporation: Should I incorporate my child care business?
Rates: How do I set rates for my child care business?
Recordkeeping: How can I set up a recordkeeping system?
Retirement: Part 1 - Why have a retirement plan?
Retirement: Part 2 - How do I choose the right retirement plan?
Retirement: Part 3 - How can I maximize my savings?
Technology Resources: Technology and Automation Resources for Child Care Businesses
Time Management: How do I manage my time effectively?
Tuition Assistance: How do I develop a tuition assistance policy?
Website Tools: Building Your Own Website with Free or Low-Cost Online Tools
Year End: How can I get my business ready for a New Year?
Growth & Sustainability
A collection of guides that cover everything you ned to know about marketing and growing your child care program.
Stabilize and Grow your Business
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) - FAQ for child care programs
- Business Technical Assistance for Child Development Homes
- CCMS Provider Selection Tool (in Excel)
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) - reimbursement program for meals & snacks
- Child Care Resource & Referral - Iowa's number one resource for all things child care
- Child Care WAGE$® Iowa - salary supplement program
- Donation Review - fillable form to help providers review options
- Early Childhood Iowa - statewide system committed to the first 2,000 days of life
- First Children's Finance - business resource center for Child Care Centers
- Home Grown - Preparing for the Tax Season (in Spanish)
- Iowa DCI - launch pad for Non-Criminal Justice forms
- Iowa Source Link - helping Iowa business start and grow
- Opportunities Exchange - CCMS: Frequently Asked Questions
- Opportunities Exchange - Financial Management Toolkits
- Opportunities Exchange - Iron Triangle: A Simple Formula for Financial Policy in ECE Programs (in Spanish)
- Opportunities Exchange - Using Metrics to Drive Quality and Sustainability in Early Care and Education Programs
- Recruitment & Retention - recruitment for early childhood professionals
- T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® IOWA - Teacher Education and Compensation Helps
Helping People. Changing Lives.
Child Care Collaborative of Iowa Mission
Guide child care programs to improve financial practices and optimize resources that benefit children, families and their business.
Funding for this program is being made available through the federal American Rescue Plan Act.