Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
What are the benefits of this program?
- Pay past-due water and sewer bills to bring the account current and/or to avert disconnection of services
- Assist in the reconnection of water services
What is required for program eligibility?
- Meet income guidelines: 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Must demonstrate a water burden
- Must demonstrate legal U.S. status
- Owners and renters both qualify
What is required to apply for services?
- Proof of Income - last 30 days or current tax return
- Past due water bill
- Social security cards for all household members
- LiHEAP Application - English
- LiHEAP Application - Spanish
What services are NOT eligible for LIHWAP?
- Utility deposits for new services
- Diversion feeds
- Repairs or replacement of the water systems or equipment
- Costs related to individually-owned water systems, i.e. wells
Where to apply for services?
- Online Application
- Remsen - 418 South Marion Street
- Cherokee - 921 South 2nd Street
- Ida Grove - 401 Moorehead
- Rock Rapids - 302 S Lincoln
- LeMars - 180 10th Street SE
- Sioux Center - 618 14th St. NE, Suite 10
Helping People. Changing Lives.
Iowa Department of Human Rights Mission
To ensure basic rights, freedoms, and opportunities for all by empowering underrepresented Iowans and eliminating economic, social, and cultural barriers. We help individuals attain economic independence by ensuring access to government services and advancing educational achievement and entrepreneurial success consistent with their aspirations.